Thursday 29 May 2008

Telectroscope



Giant telescope connecting London and New York, near Tower Bridge

photos by Vedran

"When the sun illuminated the lens of the Telectroscope next to the Thames, it was, of course, still nighttime in New York. So the screen inside the scope broadcast back only an empty sidewalk silently framed by the Brooklyn Bridge and the Manhattan skyline.

But then something miraculous occurred.

A police officer and a street cleaner walked into the frame. Stopped. And waved.

The Telectroscope will be on display and open to the public 24 hours a day in London and New York until June 15. Artichoke is arranging requests to synchronize special reunions between friends and family or, the company hopes, maybe even a marriage proposal."
(Taken from CNN.com)

7 comments:

Francis Scudellari said...

Very cool. I wish I lived in NY.

sand said...

Oh, not London?

Francis Scudellari said...

I'd love to live in London, but it would be harder to arrange ... what with no shortage of ex-pat yanks there queued up for citizenship. I just meant that I wished I lived where I could take a peak at London through the telescope ... and be peaked back at.

sand said...

Hey franscud, I know you meant that, but the way you said it just begged the question. ;)

Francis Scudellari said...

I definitely deserved the good natured teasing ... and I'm sure I'll give you more opportunities to make me explain myself :).

Anonymous said...

That's amazing! I would love to see that.

[G@ttoGiallo] said...

Yowh, fantastic, I saw this tonight on EuroNews... I want an angular one in Paris connected with NY/London, yep !

Now, Franscud, you're going to live in Paris and stop messing around !
We are going to have the best angular one by the way.